What do you use for healthy glowing skin? And where exactly does this “glow” come from? Your vanity counter probably holds many jars of “hope” – snowy, silkened glamorously colonized glass jars of rich face cream. Yet you’ve likely never heard of Metrin Skincare System. […]
柱侯蘿蔔炆牛筋腩 Braised beef brisket and tendon is one of my favourite Chinese comfort dishes. I love it with rice or with soup noodles at wonton restaurants. Often noodle houses always advertise that their beef brisket is their specialty – especially their sauce. Finding the perfect […]
It is a world-renowned style of wine that can only be crafted under specific -8 degree to -10 degree C temperatures, for which our cool Canadian climate is ideal. But to many Canadians, Icewine remains a bit of a mystery drink — they see a type of wine with deep colours in a skinny little bottle that they aren’t used to seeing on the wine shelves in the liquor store. It looks different than a typical bottle of wine, so questions are raised about how it should be stored, serving temperature, pouring etiquette, proper glassware and what should be enjoyed with it.
“Many people assume Icewine to be too sweet for their palate – perhaps comparing Icewine to the sweetness in maple syrup. says Scott McGregor, Winemaker at Lakeview Wine Co., a division of Diamond Estates Wine & Spirits. “In fact, this is not the case. Great Icewine has a delicate balance of sweetness and acidity, with concentrated flavours and fantastic pairing opportunities.”
Making Icewine is a detailed and complex process that starts during harvest when the winemaker decides which grapes are going to be left on the vines until winter’s deep freeze hits. There they will stay until late December or January — exactly when they are picked is determined by Mother Nature when she graces the vineyard with three or four days where the temperature stays below -8°C. The grapes, which now resemble little frozen marbles, are hand-picked and pressed while frozen to extract a small amount of sweet, concentrated nectar — typically yielding about 15% of what those grapes would have produced had they been picked during the earlier table wine harvest. Following the unique harvesting procedures, Icewines are then fermented and aged in the same process as a regular dinner wine. The Icewine is then bottled in their signature tall bottles and the sweet treat is ready to enjoy!
Recently, one of Scott’s creations – the Lakeview Cellars Cabernet Franc Icewine won a Gold Medal and Best Value distinction at the 2017 InterVin International Wine Awards. Not only did this Icewine score highly in the Red Icewine category – it also received top honours with “Best Dessert Wine” in the show– being among the top four scores of over 1200 entries from around the world.
- How do I store my Icewine? Icewines will keep for several years stored in the right conditions — on a slant to keep the cork wet, away from vibrations and with a consistent temperature around 12-15°C. But as with any table wine, not all Icewines will benefit from aging, and that all depends on the varietal selected. Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc and Merlot Icewines should be enjoyed while still young while something like a Riesling will age nicely. Once the bottle is opened, you should enjoy it within three to five days.
- How do I serve Icewine? Icewines are ideally enjoyed chilled between 10-12°C, so if you are taking out of the cellar it may need some time in the fridge. But it is finicky about the temperature. Too warm and it will lose its crispness; too cold and it cuts the aroma. Due to how sweet and rich an Icewine is, about two ounces per glass should suffice.
- When do I pour it? There is a stereotype that Icewine is a dessert wine and should be held to the end of the meal. And while it is great as a dessert, it also matches well with seafood or other main course dishes that involve something caramelized.
- What kind of glass is best? Ditch the skinny dessert glasses. To fully enjoy the aromas of Icewine, use a standard white wine glass that will allow the wine to breath and give you space to swirl the wine before enjoying it. Pro tip – chill the wine glasses in the fridge for 10 minutes before pouring the Icewine in.
- Do I have to drink it straight? Absolutely not. A splash of Icewine is a great addition to a cocktail or to add a little something extra to a glass of sparkling wine.
- What should I pair it with? If you are enjoying your Icewine with dessert, the first rule is you don’t want the dessert to be sweeter than the Icewine. If you have a white, enjoy it with fruit-based desserts while red Icewine is exquisite with dark chocolate. They are also ideal with a variety of cheeses — blue veined, triple cream, goat cheese, washed rind cheeses, aged cheeses, salty parmesan. If pairing with a main course, go spicy — Thai, Indian, Mexican or Creole. It’s a nice balance to the sweetness of the wine, and may help cool off a burning palate.
This is a classic Vidal Icewine with notes of honey, lychee, and citrus followed by a complex palate with a balanced, acidic backbone. This fresh and lively Vidal should be served chilled to approximately 12°C. This classic dessert wine pairs well with light desserts such as fresh fruit and cheeses or try it with an apricot tart topped with whipped cream.
Also, the SOLD OUT Lakeview Cellars Cabernet Franc Icewine 2013 has a vibrant and luscious Cabernet Franc Icewine from the Niagara Region, with a nose of cranberries, cherries & strawberry jam followed by a rich palate of fresh raspberries & ripe red plums. The Cabernet Franc Icewine pairs well with dark chocolate covered strawberries or a rich cherry cheesecake.
About Lakeview Wine Co.:
A division of Diamond Estates Wines and Spirits Inc., Lakeview Wine Co. is found in the heart of Canada’s premier wine country, Niagara-on-the-Lake. At its state-of-the-art winemaking facility, Lakeview crafts several Ontario VQA wine brands from specially chosen and carefully managed vineyards from more than 25 grape grower partners in the Niagara Peninsula, including Lakeview Cellars, Fresh, EastDell Estates, 20 Bees and the unique McMichael Collection that pays homage to Canada’s famed Group of Seven artists. The Lakeview Wine Co. wine boutique is open daily all year, featuring a selection from each of its brands at the tasting bar. Also available year round is the unique Cellar Floor Experience, a tasting a tour of a 1,000-square-foot space in the heart of the winery where you will sip VQA wines amongst two-storey wine tanks and an ocean of more than 800 wine barrels.
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page..
Did you think I was going to skip gift guides this year? I thought so too, but then I was able to curate them on my phone while I cradled Emily – because there is only so much Netflix one can watch in one sitting. […]
One of my favorite past time is making Chinese soup. I love the nourishing and medicinal aspect of healing the body from within. Postpartum Me includes a lot of back pain, weak knees and tender tendons. This Chinese soup recipe is perfect for those suffering […]
Enter to Win
- Post a comment on this blog post and tell us what your is your favourite Jugo Juice flavour. One entry per person.
- Follow and tweet this (one entry per day): RT to win @JugoJuice $50Cad Gift Card from @instanomss #instanomss #healthy #smoothie #jugojuice #fblogger #bblogger
- Follow me on Instagram and Facebook.
- Instagram double tap, tag a friend and comment on @Instanomss. Look for the image above!
Christmas is less then two months away. It’s time to talk Christmas. One way to set the mood for Christmas are specialty advent calendars. Here is a list of our favourite non-traditional advent calendars filled with delicious treats, beauty and home products, and even BC […]
After our last visit for Notch 8’s extravagant Canada 150 Afternoon Tea, it’s time to play a game. Notch 8 turns to the imaginative world of classic board games t deliver a playful game board of sweets and savories like scones with clotted cream, delectable savory […]
I am a firm believer that having healthy glowing skin is always better than makeup. After all, having a fresh supple palette goes a long. After my Advanced HydraFacial Treatment at SKN Holistic Rejuvenation Clinic, I was smitten my their Forget Beauty skincare line. Their natural cosmeceutical skincare products are derived with a mission to transform your skin health and awaken self love.
Their serums, toners, facial oils and moisturizers are designed to be fast absorbing, antioxidant and nutrient rich to help restore the skin barrier. They are made with radical free ingredients – natural fragrances, paraben-free, sulphate-free, etc.
The skincare line smells delightful and refreshing as it does on the skin. In addition to the Three Layers of Hydration System, I also use their Adored Rose Toner (hydrating and balancing) and Uplifted Exfloliating Gel (trio of acids that work together to effectively exfoliate, uplift and smooth the skin). After a few weeks using their products exclusively, my skin feels supple and nourished.
Forget Beauty: The Three Layers of Hydration System
Step 1: Awakened Hydrating Serum
- Targets the Dermis (deepest layer in your skin where all your collagen, elastin and water resides and where dehydration occurs)
- Water based serum rich in hyaluronic acid and a host of carefully selected antioxidants and nutrients.
- For all skin types
- Use after cleansing and toning
Step 2: Nurtured Replenishing Oil
- Targets the mid-layer (between the dermal and epidermal layer)
- Formulated to mimic the skin barrier and replenish the lipids.
- Resolve dryness it is also a powerful healing oil for various skin issues.
- Use it daily or weekly depending on your skin needs. I like to use it at night before bedtime.
Step 3: Immersed Nourishing Moisturizer
- Targets the epidermis (outer most layer of your skin)
- Formulated to deeply hydrate the skin without feeling heavy (contains two water binders and also works to regulate the skin’s PH regulating good bacteria.)
- Protects your skin from the environmental elements.
For more information visit Forget Beauty.
- Awakened Hydrating Serum
- Nurtured Replenishing Oil
- Immersed Nourishing Moisturizer
Enter to Win
- Post a comment on this blog post and tell us what your skincare needs are right now. One entry per person.
- Follow and tweet this (one entry per day): RT to win @ForgetBeauty 3 Layers of Hydration from @instanomss #instanomss #skincare #beauty #fblogger #bblogger
- Follow me on Instagram and Facebook.
- Instagram double tap, tag a friend and comment on @Instanomss
SKN Holistic Rejuvenation Clinic is an award winning skin rejuvenating clinic that combines the powers of Eastern medicine, medical aesthetics and skin nutrition. It is located conveniently near the SkyTrain station in Yaletown at 1152 Mainland Street (beside SoulCycle and Barre Fitness). Founder, […]
The Vancouver Fall Home Show will take place this weekend October 26-29. It is one of the largest home shows in Vancouver. For your house and home this show will feature interior design, landscaping companies, remodelling contractors, celebrity speakers Kortney and Dave Wilson (hosts of […]
Lobster Avocado Toast 18: sourdough, avocado, lobster mango salsa, topped with arugula and balsamic reduction drizzle. The combination of mango salsa and balsamic reduction does not go well with the avocado toast. I also wish they had fanned out their avocado instead of it mashed. If I were to be picky I also wished they had not diced up the lobster.
Nicoise Salad 13: added seared ahi tuna +8. mixed greens, tomatoes, olives, peppers, artichoke hearts, corn, hard boiled egg, feta, white balsamic dressing. The ingredients are were fresh and I would definitely order this again.
Spiced Onion Rings 5: we ordered a side of my favourite onion rings. I liked the extra crispy skin. It is not greasy and has a slight spiciness. It comes with a side of aioli sauce.
Unfortunately with so many food options nearby, we most likely would not return. Service is spotty and the waitresses are too cool to serve you. Ours at least did not bother asking us how the food was or to refill our water.
Luckily, The Juice Truck is across the street.
Mon 11:00 am – 12:00 am
Tue 11:00 am – 12:00 am
Wed 11:00 am – 12:30 am
Thu 11:00 am – 1:00 am
Fri 11:00 am – 1:00 am
Sat 11:00 am – 1:00 am
Sun 11:00 am – 12:00 am
1039 Mainland St, Vancouver, BC V6B 5P9
I Love Chickpea Restaurant opened on Main Street and 27th street. Their menu focus is vegan dishing out mainly items made with – you guessed it – chickpeas. This is their second venture from their food truck. The restaurant is cutely themed with children’s books […]
Last time I was at Ancora was during last year’s Dine Out Vancouver. I was still pregnant and now baby is almost 3 months old. To celebrate Motherhood and my friend’s pregnancy we decided to head over to Ancora for brunch! I love the bright […]