Enjoy these brightly flavoured citrus bars as part of a healthy breakfast or carry them
with you for a snack any time of the day. They freeze well, so why not make a double
batch? This recipe comes from Voula Halliday’s Eat At Home cookbook.
Citrus Burst Energy Bars
Enjoy these brightly flavoured citrus bars as part of a healthy breakfast or carry them with you for a snack any time of the day. They freeze well, so why not make a double batch?
- 2 cups rolled or large-flake oats
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 5 pitted dried dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup almond or sunflower butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup unsalted raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries, cherries, or apricots, coarsely chopped
- Step 1 Heat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Step 2 Spread oats out on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring halfway, just until lightly toasted and fragrant. Place toasted oats in a large bowl and set aside to cool.
- Step 3 Finely grate the zest of the lemon and orange and set aside.
- Step 4 Squeeze the juice from the orange. You will need 1/2 cup of juice. Pour juice into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
- Step 5 Add the chopped dates, almond butter, vanilla, and salt. Pulse until you have a smooth, thick paste.
- Step 6 Transfer date paste to bowl with cooled oats and then stir in sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, dried fruit, and citrus zest.
- Step 7 Mix until well combined.
- Step 8 Line the bottom of an 8×8-inch pan with parchment paper. Press oat mixture into pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours, or overnight.
- Step 9 Remove from pan onto a cutting board and, using a serrated knife, cut into 16 pieces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, or individually wrap the bars in wax paper and store in a container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Other recipes from Eat At Home that I’ve bookmarked include:
- Citrus Burst Energy Bars
- Super Seedy Fattoush Salad
- Finger Licking Ribs in a Flash
- Meatless Zucchini Bolognese
Excerpted from Eat At Home © 2017 Voula Halliday. Published byCast Iron Press®. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Where to Purchase?
Eat From Home by Voula Halliday
Paperback: 312 pages
Publisher: Cast Iron Press; 1st edition (2017)
Parcel Dimensions: 20.6 x 15.8 x 3 cm
The following ISBNs are associated with this title:
- ISBN-10: 0987839306