I love The Juice Truck. I’ve been one of their biggest fans of Ryan and Zach since the beginning when they first opened. I’ve even done their Juice Cleanse three times. That’s why I am so excited when I was sent a copy of The Juice Truck: A Guide to Juicing, Smoothies, Cleanses and Living a Plant-Based Lifestyle I went crazy at the supermarket buying fruits and vegetables! Now I can make the juices I love from their shop at home! Plus there are other healthy recipes for smoothies, juice cleanses, nut mylk and desserts!
- Intro – How to start a Juice business and the history of juicing
- The Basics – Starter juicing ingredients, tools, pros and cons of juicers, etc.
- The Lifestyle – Ditch the trends, balance, healthy diet
- The Cleanse – Benefits, Steps to a successful cleanse, Superior and Medicinal Foods.
- Recipes – smoothies, smoothie bowls, juices, nut milks, wellness hots, cleanse juices, and food
There are 110 delicious recipes to choose from. They are easy to make. You don’t require fancy equipment. And what I like most about the recipes is that it tells you what health benefits it is for. For example, The Green Smoothie is great for antioxidant, cleansing and hydrating; The Spicy Apple is perfect for anti-inflammatory, digestive aid and antioxidant.
My favourite recipes that I’ve bookmarked include:
- The Banana Beet
- The Super Berry
- The Dragon Fruit Bowl
- The Green Recovery
- Coconut Milk
- The Full Veg
- The Almond Butter Cups
- The Cacao Coconut Bar
- The Super Satisfying Vegan Pho
The first thing I made aside from a kick ass smoothie was the CaCao Coconut Bar. The creamy coconut layers with smooth chocolaty cacao and topped with a little extra coconut was to die for! Who doesn’t like a healthy version of a Bounty Bar? Seriously!
The Cacao Coconut Bar
- Chocolate Sauce
- 3 cups cacao powder 3 cups maple syrup
- 2 cups coconut oil 1 tsp salt
- Coconut Spread
- ½ cup chopped coconut meat
- ½ cup maple syrup or coconut nectar
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 3 cups walnuts
- 2 cups pecans
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup shredded dried coconut
- 1 cup finely shredded dried coconut
- Step 1 For the chocolate sauce, place all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Step 2 Pour the chocolate sauce into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Step 3 For the base, place the walnuts and pecans in a food processor and pulse until lightly crushed.
- Step 4 Combine all of the base ingredients with the chocolate sauce and mix well.
- Step 5 Spread the base mixture evenly on a baking sheet lined with plastic wrap. Place another layer of plastic wrap on top of the base, and with a rolling pin, roll out the mixture until even from all sides. Refrigerate.
- Step 6 For the coconut spread, place the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Step 7 Take the base out of the fridge and remove the top plastic layer.
- Step 8 Evenly distribute the coconut spread over the base.
- Step 9 For the topping, sprinkle the finely shredded coconut over top and lightly press into place.
- Step 10 Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight before cutting.
The Super Berry
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 Tbsp chia seed
- 1 Tbsp hemp seed
- ¼ tsp raw vanilla powder
- ½ frozen banana
- Step 1 Fill to 500 mL with cashew milk or almond milk
- Step 2 Blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy, then serve.
- Step 3 *Add basil or mint to mix things up!
Excerpted from The Juice Truck. Copyright © 2017 Zach Berman and Ryan Slater. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Absolutely! Plenty of healthy recipes to help you jump start your diet. Make juice cleanses at home and tips on how to maintain a balanced yet healthy diet. Recipes can be easily modified to work with kitchen sink ingredients.
Where to Purchase?
The Juice Truck: A Guide To Juicing, Smoothies, Cleanses And Living A Plant-based Lifestyle
Dimensions: 240 pages, 8.8 × 7.2 × 0.6 in
Published: June 6, 2017
Publisher: Appetite by Random House
The following ISBNs are associated with this title:
- ISBN – 10: 0147530016
- ISBN – 13: 9780147530011
From Zach Berman and Ryan Slater–the longtime friends behind Vancouver’s wildly successful Juice Truck–comes an accessible, informative and fresh book on the popular and healthy juicing and cleansing lifestyle.
There are lots of juice books out there, but few get it right. In The Juice Truck, Zach and Ryan make it their mission to make juicing approachable, fun, imaginative and healthy. Their obsession with juicing began when they took a trip to the Himalayas and Nepal, which quickly turned from a journey of self-discovery into a full-blown juice-seeking adventure once they were introduced to the most delicious, locally-sourced juices they had ever tried. They decided then to create the same community and street side accessibility to juice in Vancouver that had inspired them throughout their travels.
Alongside colourful and eye-catching photographs and illustrations that match their company’s brilliant branding, The Juice Truck incorporates advice from health coach Colin Medhurst, and outlines the tools you need to make the perfect juice, the science behind juicing, and the benefits of each specific ingredient. The book dives into the juice cleanse and tells you everything you need to know about this health trend, giving you the top 10 tips to consider before embarking on a cleanse. It debunks other cleanses and outlines which ones are actually good for you and how to cleanse in a safe and proper way. The authors also break down and profile their favourite superior foods, tinctures, supplements and boosters. Once the reader is perfectly equipped, Zach and Ryan provide over 110 mouth-watering drink recipes from nut milks, smoothies, juice and hot drinks, as well as easy-to-make and delicious plant-based food recipes that can be eaten alone or accompany the many drink recipes. Interspersed throughout the recipes are case studies by experts in their fields on subjects like meditation, sleep, yoga, fiber, microbes, food allergies, sensitivities and intolerance, and the nervous system.
In addition to appealing to both loyal and first-time juicers everywhere (as well as the dedicated following of the Juice Truck in Vancouver), this book will be the definitive juicing guide for people who live a healthy, active lifestyle, and those who would like to transition to a healthier diet. This is not your average juice book–it’s a combination of storytelling, nutrition and tried-and-true recipes that deserves a place in every juicer’s kitchen.