Naked Snacks is a Vancouver based Canadian healthy snacks subscription box. It is a service that sends wholesome snacks to your door. I love snacking while watching Netflix. Watching a movie without some sort of snack just isn’t the same! So, it is great to switch […]
Harvest Community Foods (or as I like to refer to Harvest Union) is a local grocer servicing the Chinatown-Strathcona neighbourhood at 243 Union St. The grocery and food shop began is a community project (This Space), in which a public vote determined the use of the […]
“I don’t like cake” said no one ever! Especially if it is a Super Moist Lemon Lavender Cake! Right?! Christmas holidays are coming up and so are potlucks and gatherings. Every year, we struggle with a last minute mad rush to Costco to buy something to bring to house parties. This year, I said “No more! We are bringing something homemade!” And maybe a specialty advent calendar as a Christmas gift to set the mood!
Personally, I like cakes that are not too sweet. And I love lemony flavors! It’s super fresh and happy to look at. So I’m sharing with you this simple easy to make Super Moist Lemon Lavender Cake recipe. I call it a cake very loosely. I mean, you can probably call it a Super Moist Lemon Lavender Loaf or Super Moist Lemon Lavender Bread… We’re not choosy. But a cake definitely sounds more festive!
We are also giving away a 8″ Baker’s Secret Square Cake Pan. Read down below for more info!
This lemon cake is for serious lemon lovers. I picked up a bunch of fresh lemons from the farmer’s market and couldn’t help to make myself a fresh batch! The lemony flavors lies in the zest. Adding more zest will add lemon flavor without the bitterness.
I was curious to see if there were any cool and eloquent lemon quotes on the internet. All I found were “if life gives you lemons, make lemonades”… We checked that one off our list by making some Lavender Lemonade.
World Kitchen recently sent us a Baker’s Secret 5 Piece Easy Store Bakeware Set. It’s pretty rad. As its name indicates, this Baker’s Secret bakeware set is easy to store. Each piece nests and stacks with the others for compact, space-saving storage. The pieces also are easy to use and they have nonstick surfaces (safe for metal utensils!) and are dishwasher safe.
Super Moist Lemon Lavender Cake Recipe
Lemon Lavender Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 3 lemons zest (4 if you like it extra lemony)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbs French lavender flower buds (I use Cote D’Azur)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- pinch salt
Lemon Glaze Optional
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 5 tbs lemon juice
Lemon Cake Directions
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- Grease the bottom of your Baker’s Secret 6 cup muffin pan or the 4” x 8” medium loaf pan. Line with parchment paper if desired.
- In a medium sized bowl, gently whisk dry ingredients (flour, salt and baking powder) together. Set aside.
- In your KitchenAid stand mixer (or in a large bowl), cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in eggs, lavender buds and lemon zest at low speed for 30 seconds.
- Add in dry flour mixture and buttermilk at medium speed for 2 minutes. Do not over mix!
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for:
- Bake until directed or until toothpick inserted in center and comes out clean.
- Cool off and rest for 10 minutes before removing from pan onto a wired rack.
Lemon Glaze Directions
- If would like to add a lemony glaze, whisk all lemon glaze ingredients together in a bowl.
- Poke some small holes to the top of the lemon cake with toothpicks or a fork.
- Brush the glaze on top of the bread. The little holes will allow the bread to absorb the glaze quicker.
- Rest and let set for a few minutes before adding another layer (if desired).
- Store in an airtight container.
Congrats Jessica C! You have won yourself a new BAKER’S SECRET SQUARE CAKE PAN!
This post is sponsored by World Kitchen monetarily and with product.
[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][image_with_animation image_url=”14747″ animation=”Fade In” img_link_target=”_self” img_link=”http://amzn.to/1RavVqM”][vc_column_text] REESE Peanut Butter Chocolate Spread is addictive! It is like Nutella with a peanut butter kick! We recently received a couple bottles of this heavenly spread. OMG! Seriously, the first thing I did was dig my spoon into […]
[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][image_with_animation image_url=”14464″ animation=”Fade In” img_link_target=”_self”][vc_column_text] CLIF Organic Trail Mix Bars are now available in Canada. The fine folks at CLIF Bar recently sent us variety box to sample. It’s still summer in Vancouver, we took the bars with us mountain biking in Whistler! Did […]
It’s been a while since we last had a Minute Rice contest on Nomss.
Minute Rice was so kind to send us a few boxes of their Minute Rice Ready To Serve Cups Easy as ABC. Whether you are busy On the Go, or getting ready for Back-to-School, there’s always time for a hot meal!
Read to the end of the post for a contest to win a 3 cases (48 cups) of Minute Rice® Ready To Serve Cups Easy!
As if making rice isn’t easy enough, Minute Rice has found a way to make it even easier.
Think one minute. That’s all it takes to prepare unique Minute Rice Ready to Serve Cups, available in six delicious varieties to suit a wide range of tastes.
Minute Rice Ready to Serve Cups are pre-portioned single serving mini-bowls of rice that take only one minute in the microwave to cook perfectly every time.
Minute Rice Ready to Serve Cups Flavors:
- Whole Grain
- Oriental Style
- Vegetable Medley
- Long Grain & Wild Rice – Fine Herbs, Long Grain & Wild Rice
- Chicken Flavour
The rice can be eaten straight out of the cup, as a side dish, or combined with a protein, such as chicken, beef, fish or tofu for a quick one-dish meal.
At about $2.75 for a sleeve of two 125 gram microwaveable cups! Minute Rice Ready to Serve Cups are an economical choice for kids’ lunches or snacks, take-to-work lunches, or dinner.
Minute Rice Ready to Serve Cups are available at major retailers nationally.
Minute Rice Chicken and Wild Rice Salad Recipe
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 10 min
- 1 Minute Rice® Ready to Serve Cup – Long Grain & Wild Rice – Chicken Flavour
- Diced fully cooked chicken breast
- Sliced fresh snow peas
- Sliced red onion
- Mandarin orange segments
- Sesame oil and orange zest
1. Heat Minute Rice® Ready to Serve Cup – Long Grain & Wild Rice – Chicken Flavour in microwave, per package instructions.
2. Add diced chicken breast, snow peas and sliced red onion.
3. Stir in mandarin orange segments and sesame orange salad dressing.
Serve on a bed of salad greens
[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][image_with_animation image_url=”12011″ animation=”Fade In” img_link_target=”_self”][image_with_animation image_url=”12015″ animation=”Fade In” img_link_target=”_self”][vc_column_text]We were recently introduced to Pure Infused Maple Syrup the Food Bloggers of Canada. Who doesn’t love maple syrup? It goes well with pancakes, bacon and even a Master Cleanse diet. The folks at Pure Infused Maple Syrup like […]
Since we missed the Minute Rice event at George Brown College in Toronto, Minute Rice was so kind to send us a few boxes of their 100% Natural Instant Rice to try. Minute Rice brings convenience and nutrition to your meals. It is a easy, precooked, parboiled long grain […]
[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][image_with_animation image_url=”10609″ animation=”Fade In” img_link_target=”_self”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]This is exciting news. Two of my favorite condiments are coming together for a collaboration. Heinz has announced that they will release a Heinz Sriracha ketchup at a suggested retail price of $2.69 USD. They will be available at your favorite big box supermarket such as Walmart and Target.
I am just glad I don’t have to mix this myself anymore. Suddenly my foods like cheeseburgers, French fries and hot dogs just got tastier.
[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLVpu4X9jH8″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text] How Sriracha Hot Sauce is Made The latest edition of Hypebeast Process features the process of how Sriracha Rooster Hot Sauce is made. CEO and founder, David Tran of Huy Fong Foods walks us through the making process of this famous sauce. The […]
Cheers to our new Yelp CM, Ayla. She did a great job hosting the Yelp Elite event at Luke’s General Store Vancouver in Gastown. First, I love the space at Luke’s – the two story high ceiling loft vibe, vinyl and […]
Agree or disagree: The best thing about November 1st is 50% off Halloween candy sale. Instead of buying expensive candy before October 31, after Halloween is when stores slash prices. They will have plenty of supply left but also forced to put up Christmas candy for sale. Many friends wonder is candy cheap after Halloween? Answer is yes! Many stores will have 50% to 70% off shelf prices. There are plenty big after-Halloween sales: chocolate candy, costumes, decorations!
A photo posted by NOMSS (@instanomss) on
Most retailer stores will have Halloween Candy sales up to 50% off or more. We went before lunch time and shelves were half empty. Most Halloween candy bulk offers are in-store only.
Three Simple Ways to Save on Halloween Candy
- Buy candy that is on sale. You don’t need to buy your favorite candy if you are handing them out. Needless to say, also don’t give out junk that will end up in the trash.
- Buy larges pieces of candy. With smaller candy, you tend to hand out more.
- Buy variety bulk candy after Halloween. November 1st is when stores slash prices and it is perfect for your own enjoyment!
Goodbye October and Hello November. Remember to work off the extra calories and that Halloween Hangover! Avoid the guilt, guilt, guilt.
What is the best Halloween candy? My favorite Halloween chocolate candy is Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup!
Prima Taste brand has been ranked best Singapore Laksa Instant Noodles top ten instant noodles two years running. This delicious laksa la mien can be found at T&T and most Asian supermarkets. Each package is approximated 2.60 to 2.99. It instant laksa noodles […]
Happy Planet is passionate about making food that is natural and organic. Ingredients are sourced from Canadian farmers. We are happy to start the Happy Planet Fresh Soup Love at The Dirty Apron Cooking School with some all natural Coconut & pineapple fruit smoothie. This […]