The Urban Tea Merchant Mid Autumn festival will be featuring their Moon Festival Tea Service between September 1st to 19th. This year, the mid-autumn festival is on September 19, 2013 where friends, family and lovers gather to admire the moon at its roundest and brightest – a symbol of fullness and complete. The good folks at The Urban Tea Merchant invited us back to catch up and show a little pinkies up.
We started off sampling some Silver Moon Tea. This special blend pairs exquisitely with the Moonlight Mooncake – made with white lotus paste with Silver Moon Tea, scattered wild berries & red fruit marmalade center.
Left, Pu-Erh 1993 (Yunnan Matured Tea) – mellowed with age, developing a sweet and slightly earthy aromatic flavor. Right, a joyful Longevity Tea – a magical mélange of rare white teas which boasts a high percentage of downy silver tips picked entirely by hand. This blend envelops your senses with its precious essence as it infuses into a royal yellow cup, yielding a raw and crystalline flavor. Momentarily capturing the freshness of its inherent sparkle, this tea is created to tantalize tea-drinkers.
During the month of September, TUTM features the Moon Festival Tea Services $46 pp. The platter features item favorites like:
miso-maple glazed sable ﬁsh in butter lettuce
- Lapsang Souchong Tea chicken cone
- smoked salmon with ponzu jelly
- Royal Orchid Tea petite duck crepe
- Silver Moon Tea red bean chilled soup
- chevron strawberry
- TWG Tea Mooncake
There is a special theme to the design with a bunny and the crescent moon. There is a story about the Moon Goddess of Chang’e 嫦娥 which will be told at your table. For me, all I could think about was the song Fly Me To the Moon.
There are four flavors available for the mooncakes – some traditional and others fusion and catered to someone new to mooncakes.
- Constellation: Golden crust and infused with Longevity Tea and brown lotus filling with a hint of ginger, roasted melon seeds and salty egg yolk center. The most traditional available.
- Pagoda: Chocolate brown crust with juicy cranberries in a smooth lotus paste infused with malty notes of Chocolate Tea and a raspberry marmalade heart.
- Dragon: Luxurious red crust is filled with a velvety smooth lotus paste with nutty overtones of Brothers Club Tea, roasted peanuts and buttery peanut paste center. If you like PB&J, you’ll definitely love this!
- Moonlight: Lavish brown crust paired with smooth white lotus paste infused with Pu-Erh 1993 and sprinkled with black and white sesame seeds and an aromatic sesame paste center.
Enjoy a lovely offering of contemporary Westcoast delights with an Asian twist. TWG Tea-Infused Mooncake is definitely a traditional Asian delicacy with a modern twist.
The Urban Tea Merchant Vancouver
Cuisine: Tea Rooms, Desserts, Pacific Northwest
Hours: Monday to Sunday 10:00 am – 7:00 pm
1070 W Georgia St, Vancouver, BC V6E 2Y2